Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I didn’t really like olive magazine, I found it focused on many expensive ingredients and restaurants. However there were a few gems to gleaned from it and this was one of them. This is actually from an Easter menu form Maria Ellis to be served with her paper roast lamb. I bet this would be tasty with a Greek salad and some pitta breads. This could be made very slimming world friendly by replacing the oil with low fat cooking spray. Time does not included overnight soak for the beans
- 250 g butter beans (dried)
- 75 ml olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2.46 ml tomato puree
- 500 g plum tomatoes (tinned and roughly chopped)
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 25 g parsley (chopped)
- 25 g oregano (chopped or 2 teaspoon dried)
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water, and slip the beans out of their skins. Drain rinse and put in a saucepan cover with cold water and simmer until just tender- about 50 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 150/ gas mark 3. Drain beans reserving the cooking liquid. Heat the oil in an ovenproof pan and add the onion and garlic, cook until softened. Add the tomato puree and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, sugar herbs, beans and 300ml of the cooking liquid. Season, cover with lid and pout in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir and cook for a further 30 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed serve warm or at room temperature.