Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The comments at Christmas dinner made the prep time worth the effort and any extra chestnuts found their way into my turkey stuffing. Shocking and chilling the sprouts in the ice water allows them to retain their lovely bright green color. Adapted from the LA Times.
- Score each chestnut with a X and roast in a 400 deg. oven for 25-30 minutes. Peel as soon as the chestnuts are cool enough to handle.
- Trim and discard the loose and discolored leaves from each sprout. Steam covered until just tender. Immediately immerse in ice water bath. Once chilled, halve smaller sprouts - larger ones can be quartered. Sprouts can be prepared up to 8 hours ahead and stored in fridge tightly covered.
- Render the bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced shallot and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute.).
- Add the chopped chestnuts and chicken broth, cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add the Vinegar, Sherry and Brussels Sprouts and cook until the sprouts just start to brown (about 5 minutes.).