I saw this on Rachael Ray's talk show. I love Brussels sprouts and want to give this a try soon. Let me know how it is!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 pints Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon sage, thinly sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small radicchio, chopped
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat with the EVOO and butter. Add the onions and cook until caramelized, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the sliced Brussels sprouts, allspice, sage, some salt and freshly ground pepper, and toss to combine. Add the stock, bring up to a bubble, then reduce the heat and simmer until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 15 minutes. In the last three minutes of cooking, stir in the radicchio.
- Serves 4 for a main dish or 6-8 as a side dish.
This was great. My DH doesn't like Brussels sprouts, either, and ate a good serving. This is a recipe where you want your mise-en-place -- i.e., have everything ready before you fire up the pan, because, although it says "braised", these Brussels sprouts need to cook no longer than the stated time for the freshest flavor.
My husband who has never liked brussel sprouts said it was ok and ate two spoons full.