Recipe by Boomette
A recipe I tried from the blog (http://carrotsncake.com/).
Top Review by JustJanS
I didn't realise it was the end of the Brussell's sprout season when I tagged this recipe, so I had to hunt for some and pay quite a lot for them when I found them but do you know what? It was worth it because they were so good in this recipe. I made no changes and can't think of any I'd suggest after eating them. Thanks for posting Boomette.
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup minced shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off base of a sprout with a sharp knife. Slice a piece from one side of the sprout. Place it cut side down and cut it crosswise into about 5 slices. Repeat with all of the sprouts. (I sliced them all).
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat for 1 minutes. Add olive oil and swirl to coat skillet.
- Add shallots; sauté for 2 mintues. Stir in sprouts, salt (if using), and 3 tablespoons water; spread everything evenly across the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mustard, brown sugar, and remaining water in a small bowl; stir until blended. Once sprouts have cooked for 5 minutes, pour mustard mixture over them and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover, cook for 3 minutes, then stir. Remove from heat or, if you prefer, cook for 5 minutes more – the sprouts will get browner and more intensely flavored. Serve hot or warm with black pepper.