Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a recipe I saw in a Martha magazine and I thought it was a cute idea!
- 1 beef brisket, 5 lbs
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgion olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced plus one head halved horizontally
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 4 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled and halved
- 8 ounces baby carrots (approx. 20)
- 10 ounces red pearl onions, peeled (approx 2 1/2 c)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Season both sides of brisket with salt and pepper.
- Place a roasting pan across two burners on medium high with olive oil and sear the brisket until browned. Approx 4-5 minutes per side and transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion and minced garlic to the pan. Cook for approximately 4 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for approximately 1 minute more.
- Stir in wine and scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan to blend.
- Add stock and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Add the brisket to the pan and cover with foil.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for approximately 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Flip the brisket over and add the head of garlic . Cover and roast for 30 minutes more.
- Add remaining vegetables to brisket, cover, and roast until meat and vegetables are tender , about 1 hour.
- Transfer vegetables and garlic to a platter and meat to a cutting board while reserving the pan sauce.
- Tent the meat with foil and let it rest.
- Let sauce sit in pan for approximately 15 minutes and then skim the fat from the top.
- Place pan over two burners over medium high heat, cook until the sauce is reduced by more than half, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar.
- Thinly slice the brisket against the grain . Arrange the slices on the platter with the vegetables. Season with pepper and drizzzle with sauce.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with extra sauce.