4 hrs 30 mins
This is a recipe I saw in a Martha magazine and I thought it was a cute idea!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 beef brisket, 5 lbs
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgion olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced plus one head halved horizontally
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled and halved
- 8 ounces baby carrots (approx. 20)
- 10 ounces red pearl onions, peeled (approx 2 1/2 c)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Season both sides of brisket with salt and pepper.
- 2Place a roasting pan across two burners on medium high with olive oil and sear the brisket until browned. Approx 4-5 minutes per side and transfer to a plate.
- 3Reduce heat to medium and add onion and minced garlic to the pan. Cook for approximately 4 minutes until the onion is soft.
- 4Stir in tomato paste and cook for approximately 1 minute more.
- 5Stir in wine and scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan to blend.
- 6Add stock and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- 7Add the brisket to the pan and cover with foil.
- 8Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for approximately 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- 9Flip the brisket over and add the head of garlic . Cover and roast for 30 minutes more.
- 10Add remaining vegetables to brisket, cover, and roast until meat and vegetables are tender , about 1 hour.
- 11Transfer vegetables and garlic to a platter and meat to a cutting board while reserving the pan sauce.
- 12Tent the meat with foil and let it rest.
- 13Let sauce sit in pan for approximately 15 minutes and then skim the fat from the top.
- 14Place pan over two burners over medium high heat, cook until the sauce is reduced by more than half, about 20 minutes.
- 15Stir in the vinegar.
- 16Thinly slice the brisket against the grain . Arrange the slices on the platter with the vegetables. Season with pepper and drizzzle with sauce.
- 17Serve immediately and enjoy with extra sauce.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Brisket With Carrots, Garlic, and Parsnips
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.7
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 27.3 mg
- Sodium 126.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red pearl onions