Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Braised Brisket and Onions recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (5 lb) flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 onions, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- Combine paprika, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and cayenne in a bowl.
- Using fork, prick brisket all over.
- Rub spice mixture over brisket, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Unwrap brisket and place in slow cooker.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions, sugar, tomato paste, and garlic and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in broth, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir 2 tablespoons vinegar, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH, until beef is tender.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Discard thyme and bay leaves.
- Stir in remaining teaspoon vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice brisket 1/2 inch thick against the grain and arrange on serving platter.
- Spoon 1 cup sauce over meat and serve with remaining sauce.