From the Ottawa Jewish Bulletin. This is a wonderfully flavorful and tender way to prepare brisket. It is best prepared the night before. Don't be afraid of all the steps, it's actually pretty simple.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 lb) beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 -6 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled and halved crosswise
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Heat oil in a large heavy roasting pan and add the brisket.
- 3Cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until brown on both sides.
- 4Remove brisket and set aside.
- 5Add wine to the pan and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen all the brown bits.
- 6Continue cooking the wie until it's volume is reduced by about half.
- 7Remove pan from heat.
- 8Mix together ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- 9Brush this mixture all over the brisket and then return the meat to the pan.
- 10Scatter vegetables around the brisket and add enough chicken stock so that the liquid comes halfway up the side of the meat.
- 11Cover the pan and roast for 2-3 hours, turning the brisket each half hour.
- 12When done, remove the brisket from pan and set aside.
- 13Strain the braising liquid and place the vegetables in a separate container.
- 14Squeeze the garlic cloves from the skin.
- 15When cool, wrap the brisket in foil and cover the liquid and vegetables.
- 16Refrigerate overnight.
- 17The next day, remove fat that has hardened and discard.
- 18Puree the vegetables and 1/2 cup of the braising liquid in a food processor or blender.
- 19Place the pureed vegetables and remaining liquid in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- 20Cut brisket across the grain into thin slices and place into a clean roasting pan.
- 21Pour the gravy over top.
- 22Cover and heat at 325°F for about 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Brisket
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.5
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 192.2 mg
- Sodium 1122.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 68.7 g