Recipe by mollypaul
This is a great way to get the most out of a cheaper cut of meat that many have forgotten how to cook. Breast of lamb is a less expensive cut, but excellent if you know what to do with it. There is excess fat on lamb breast, so trim away all you can prior to cooking. From the Fanny Farmer Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon fat
- 3 lbs lamb breast
- 1 tablespoon thyme, crumbled
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, peeled and studded with
- 3 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 cup turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the fat in a heavy pot.
- Add the breast and brown lightly on both sides.
- Sprinkle with thyme and add water.
- Add carrot, clove-studded onion, turnip, and pepper.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove as much fat as possible with a spoon and salt to taste.
- Cut ribs into serving pieces.