1/2 Photos of Braised Braciole
1 hr 30 mins
Valerie in Florida's Note:
Recipe courtesy of the Food Network. Even my Italian Dad was proud.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cubed day-old Italian bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup grated romano cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1/2 lb capicola, diced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in warm water to rehydrate then drained
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 4 lbs veal, breast (alternatively may use beef top round)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and quartered
- 1 cup red wine, for braising (optional)
- tomato sauce, for braising (optional)
- 1Prepare the bread stuffing by soaking the bread in milk for 5 minutes. Squeeze out the excess milk with your hands then put the bread in a clean mixing bowl. Add parsley, cheese, garlic, copacola, pine nuts, and raisins. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil to moisten and mix thoroughly.
- 2Set the veal on a piece of plastic wrap. Make a deep slice along the veal breast and fan open like a book. Lay another piece of plastic wrap on top. Using the smooth side of a mallet, gently flatten the veal until it's about 1/2-inch thick; take care not to tear. Discard the top sheet of plastic wrap; rub the surface with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the stuffing evenly over the meat, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Place the eggs lengthwise down the center of the meat and roll up like a jellyroll log, using the plastic wrap as support. Tie the roll with kitchen string to secure.
- 3Heat olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or roasting pan. Brown the stuffed veal roast well on all sides. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- 4Alternatively, deglaze with red wine, then pour tomato sauce on top to cover the braciole. Cover the pan and gently simmer for about 1 hour until tender.
- 5To serve, remove the strings from the veal bundle and cut into 1-inch slices. Arrange on a serving platter, with or without sauce.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Braciole
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.2
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 385.3 mg
- Sodium 399.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 68.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: