Recipe by Bergy
Endive makes a lovely salad or cooked like this recipe. I love a variety of vegetables and this is one I enjoy making. Cook longer or less depending on your personal taste. Use fresh herbs if they are available increase herbs to 3 tbsp if you use fresh and chop finely.
- 6 Belgian endive, rinsed,patted dry and root end cut off (about 1 1/4 lbs)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs (oregano, basil, rosemary or marjoram)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, let it get warm (melt) and add the endive (whole not leaves separated), sugar, lemon juice,& chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover pan and braise the endive for 3 minutes.
- Turn 1/4 way round braise for 3 more minutes, turn a quarter again continue to brais for 3 minutes and then turn the endive to the last quarter and braise 3 minutes (a total of 12 minutes and braising all four sides).
- Uncover the pan, raise heat to medium High.
- Add herbs, parsley cook for an additional 2 minutes, pan juices should have reduced by about 2/3.
- Serve ASAP.