Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 1 boneless chuck roast (2 to 2-1/2 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream, optional
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil.
- Remove roast and set aside.
- Drain, reserving 1 Tbsp of drippings.
- Saute onion, mushrooms and garlic in drippings until tender.
- Return roast to pan.
- Add broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add barley.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and barley are tender.
- Add peas; cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Set the roast and barley aside; keep warm.
- If desired, add sour cream to pan juices; stir until heated through.
- Slice roast; serve with barley and gravy.
This is my favorite roast recipe! It is so tasty and it makes GREAT leftovers!