Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I am always looking for good deals on meat. Every once in a while the market will mark down for quick sell and I love to snatched up good deals. Recently this led to me having a good deal of short ribs in the freezer. Well since it was a sunday and I had the time to let something cook for hours I decided to make Braised Beef Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce. I served mine over pasta, since I had some on hand, but it would be just as good over rice, potatoes, or even polenta. You could even serve it over some grits if you are a fan. We even had plenty left over to freeze for me to use in a future meal.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, diced small
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced small
- 4 carrots, diced small
- 2 celery, including leafy tops, chopped small
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peppers, carrots, celery, and teaspoon of salt. Cook until the onion is softened and translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Place the short ribs into the pot and toss in the bay leaves and thyme. Pour the wine and broth over the meat. Cover and put into the oven, cook for 4 hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven onto a stovetop burner. Remove the meat and meat to a plate to cool. Skim the fat off the top of the liquid in the pot.
- Turn the burner to simmer, remove bay leaves, and allow the liquid to simmer uncovered while you separate the meat from the bones and fat. Add the meat back to the pot and continue to simmer until reduced slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and stir in the parsley.