Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These Dutch oven ribs are so delicious. Got this from rachael ray magazine.
- 12 pieces beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
- 1 lb small onion, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- In large Dutch oven at medium high heat, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and brown ribs on all sides. Transfer to bowl.
- Increase heat to high, add the wine and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and gently boil until reduced to half (about 10 minutes).
- Put ribs in Dutch oven. Cover and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- In large skillet, heat remaining olive oil over med high heat and saute onions, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Remove when onions are browned (about 5 minutes) and add to ribs. Cover and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Transfer ribs and onions to bowl. discard fat from liquid.
- Place dutch oven with broth on stove. Bring to boil and stir in the mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomatoes and return ribs and onions to the pot. Cover and lower the heat to medium and simmer until tomatoes are tender (about 10 minutes).
Disappointing, I have cooked Short Ribs many times and this recipe sounded good although I was a little skeptical of the time indicated. The flavors never materialized and at the end I found myself trying to add "a little this and a little that." We served it over Polenta with mushrooms and root vegetables so the meal worked for a cold early Spring evening.