Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Braised beef and roasted garlic pie makes for sophisticated comfort food. To prepare ahead, assemble the pie and freeze for up to a month, or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons red wine
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 2 1⁄2 lbs floury potatoes, cut into chunks
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 275°F
- Cut the base of the garlic bulb so that the cloves are just showing, then wrap lightly in foil.
- Bake for 1 hr until completely tender, then leave until cool enough to handle and squeeze the flesh into a bowl - you should have about 2 tablespoons Cover and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a shallow casserole or heavy-based pan with a lid. Cook the beef in batches over a medium heat for 3-4 mins until evenly browned, then tip on to a plate. Using the rest of the oil, repeat until all of the beef has browned.
- Add the onion and thyme to the pan then cook for about 5 mins until softened. Stir in the mustard and cook for 1 minute Pour the red wine into the pan and cook for a few mins until well reduced and syrupy.
- Return the beef to the pan, add the carrot, then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and simmer gently with the lid on for 1½ hrs or until the beef is tender and the sauce has slightly reduced and thickened. Spoon into a 3½ pint pie dish and leave to cool completely.
- Increase oven temperature to 350°F Simmer the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water, for 15-20 mins or until tender. Drain, then mash with the reserved garlic, butter, milk and parsley.
- Season to taste, then carefully spread over the beef to cover completely and fluff up with a fork.
- Bake for 25- 30 mins until heated through and lightly golden.
- Serve the pie straight away.