Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This recipe takes awhile but is sooo good.
- 1 lb beef liver
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons oil or 4 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 onion
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Cut liver into 1 in strips.
- Soak in milk for one hour.
- Remove from milk and dredge in flour/salt mixture.
- Saute in hot oil until browned on all sides.
- Remove and set aside.
- Brown onions in same pan.
- Remove onions and set aside on top of liver.
- Add beef broth, lemon juice and sugar to hot pan and deglaze.
- Place liver and onion back into pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add sour cream.
- Serve with parsley whipped potatoes and your favorite green vegetable.
My husband and I just cooked beef liver using this recipe. The recipe is simple with items I always have on hand. It was absolutely DELICIOUS! I could envision this recipe being a Specialtly at an up-scale restaurant. My husband would have preferred less sugar in the sauce....the next time I make this (which will be soon) I will use less sugar. Some of the best liver and onions I have ever eaten!!
Nice meal, thank! I used lambs liver, it has a much nicer flavor.
I really enjoyed my dinner. I have never soaked liver in milk but it seems to mellow the flavor. Lovely gravy forms with the broth, onions and sour cream - I used whipped cottage cheese instead of the sour cream - It works well and I always have it in the house. Thanks for a very tasty liver dinner Aroostook