Recipe by kk77
This is a form of Guinness Beef Stew, you can use any stout beer that you'd like, be it Guinness or Cascade Stout.
- 1 1⁄4 kg chuck steaks
- 25 g butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 600 ml stout beer
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 teaspoon vegemite
- 500 g baby carrots
- 500 g eggplants, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 mushrooms, medium sized
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 sprig basil
- rind of half a lemon, shredded
- 6 kalamata olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the steaks into 5 x 7cm pieces.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large casserole dish or pot.
- Add the beef and fry until well browned. It is OK if the bottom of the pan gets brown and sticky, but dont let it burn.
- Add the onions and cook until beginning to soften. You will see the brown sticky stuff at the bottom of the pan start to dissolve and come away.
- Add the brandy.
- Add the Stout beer, Vegemite (dissolved in a little water) sprigs of thyme and rosemary, carrots, eggplant, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil and cook very gently for about 3 hours, until the meat is very tender. Add the whole mushrooms for the last 30 minutes.
- remove the sprigs of rosemary and thyme.
- Mix the chopped basil and lemon rind together and sprinkle over the top.
- Scatter over the olives and garnish with the basil sprig.
- Serve with crusty bread or mashed potato.