Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Beef so tender that you don't need teeth!!! Since Barolo is very expensive, you may want to substitute with a Chianti, Barbera or a good, stout California Pinot Noir. Time doesn't include marinating.
- 6 lbs roast beef (eye of the round roast or another lean cut)
- 2 1⁄2 cups red wine (Barolo)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (Barolo)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 pinch unsweetened cocoa powder
- Tie the beef with kitchen string & place in a large dish; add the next 10 ingredients and let marinade for 6 to 7 hours.
- Drain the meat, reserving the marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the butter, oil & bacon fat in a pan; add the meat and cook over high heat, turning frequently, until browned all over, then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Tip the pan and remove as much fat as possible, then deglaze pan with remaining wine & pour over beef; add marinade & beef broth to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours; the meat is cooked when it feels very tender at the pricking of a knife or fork.
- Remove beef from slow cooker & remove kitchen string; tent for about 10 minutes before carving.
- Make Sauce: Remove bay leaf, stir in cocoa powder & pour liquid into a blender or food processor; being careful with this hot liquid, process until smooth.
- If desired, thicken on stove top using flour, corn starch or arrowroot.