4 hrs 15 mins
momthecook #2's Note:
This is by request. Remember beef heart is NOT organ meat. It is the purest cut of muscle, just like your steaks, except there is very little fat, no gristle and it doesn't have a definite grain, which means it is tender no matter which way you cut it. The gravy is to die for, it is so flavourful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim any fat off the heart. Use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut off any large pieces of the connective tissue around the top of the meat.
- 2Roll into a roast form and tie with string.
- 3Brown in the oil on all sides.
- 4Put in a dutch oven and add the onion, cut into about 8 pieces, and all the other ingredients, except the bread crumbs.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 4 hours, turning every hour.
- 6After 2 hours, add the bread crumbs.
- 7When done, remove heart and use an immersion blender or regular blender to smooth the gravy. If desired, you can thicken the gravy some more with a water and flour mixture, bringing it to the boil.
- 8Slice the heart lengthwise into 1/4" slices.
Browse Our Top Beef Organ Meats Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beef Organ Meats Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Beef Heart
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.3
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 281.2 mg
- Sodium 400.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 41.6 g