Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
A slow cooker stew with the flavours of Spain.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In large shallow Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside on paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off fat in pan.
- Meanwhile, cut beef into 1-1/2-inch cubes, trimming off fat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to pan; brown beef, in batches. Remove to separate plate.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add onion, garlic and carrots to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return bacon and beef with any accumulated juices to pan; add bay leaf, thyme, sage and paprika.
- Stir in stock, 1-1/2 cups water and sherry; bring to boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in potatoes and turnips; cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until beef is tender. (For best results, use low power only.)
- Whisk flour with water; whisk into stew.
- Cover and cook until thickened, 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf; stir in parsley.