Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 scallion
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 slices gingerroot, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 lbs beef chuck
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Cut green part of scallion into 2" pieces.
- Combine all ingredients except meat, oil, & chicken stock in bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown meat quickly on all sides.
- Add mixture from bowl and cook, stirring to heat and blend, about 3 minutes.
- Heat stock in saucepan and add to beef.
- Simmer covered 90 mins to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Slice meat and serve hot or cold.
- Reserve gravy for master sauce.
- Strain through cheesecloth when cool and refrigerate in a covered dish.