Recipe by Kayne
I've only tried this once, and was actually rather successful. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Since I came across it again, I'll have to try it again soon.
Top Review by harry_my
Really Nice, easy to make dinner. I made this for my family of 6 and everyone enjoyed it, the sauce was especially received well! I didn't use any bay leaves or parsley and the sauce came out deliciously tasty :) The meat was very tender and next time I make it I might even make extra sauce... Thanks
- 3 lbs rump roast
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 8 slices bacon, diced, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub beef generously, all over, with salt, pepper and mustard.
- Sautee the bacon in large heavy pan.
- Remove bacon.
- Add oil.
- When hot, add the beef and brown evenly on all sides.
- Add the onions and herbs. Cook until the onions are nearly tender, then add the paprika, tomato paste, wine, stock and replace the bacon.
- Cover the pot and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until tender.
- Remove and let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, stir the flour into small amount of water. Add this into hot cooking liquid.
- Stir constantly till thick.
- Stir in the cream of your choice (I liked it best with sour cream).
- Serve with mashed or fried potatoes.