2 hrs 20 mins
I've only tried this once, and was actually rather successful. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Since I came across it again, I'll have to try it again soon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs rump roast
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 8 slices bacon, diced, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1Rub beef generously, all over, with salt, pepper and mustard.
- 2Sautee the bacon in large heavy pan.
- 3Remove bacon.
- 4Add oil.
- 5When hot, add the beef and brown evenly on all sides.
- 6Add the onions and herbs. Cook until the onions are nearly tender, then add the paprika, tomato paste, wine, stock and replace the bacon.
- 7Cover the pot and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until tender.
- 8Remove and let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes before carving.
- 9Meanwhile, stir the flour into small amount of water. Add this into hot cooking liquid.
- 10Stir constantly till thick.
- 11Stir in the cream of your choice (I liked it best with sour cream).
- 12Serve with mashed or fried potatoes.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Beef
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1144.0
- Calories from Fat 749
- Total Fat 83.3 g
- Saturated Fat 31.3 g
- Cholesterol 279.1 mg
- Sodium 820.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 78.1 g