Prep 24 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
Delicious, tender, fall off the bone ribs!
Make and share this Braised Baby Back Ribs recipe from Food.com.
- Combine rub* ingredients in a plastic bag, shake to mix.
- Rub olive oil on ribs then generously cover both sides of ribs with rub, there's enough to do 2 racks.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hrs or as long as 24 hours.
- For covered charcoal grill: Start coals 30-45 minutes prior to cooking, soak a couple hand fulls of hickory chips in water.
- Meanwhile, place each rack of ribs, curved side down on two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil, which have been wiped with a thin coat of vegetable oil use a piece of foil large enough to seal over the top.
- Form a pan with the foil.
- After coals turn white push them all to one side, drain wood chips, place soaked wood chips on hot coals, replace grill top.
- Soak some more chips.
- Place ribs and foil on cool side of grill, carefully pour water to the foil 'pans' to no more than 1/2" up the sides of the ribs.
- Replace lid on grill.
- Every 30 minutes add a few coals and some of the soaked chips and reverse the position of the ribs (rotate and reverse).
- Turn over about 1/2 way through the cooking process so they finish curved side up.
- Depending on your grill it could take as long as 4 hrs or as little as 1 hr to cook.
- To finish ribs, remove from heat, drain liquid from foil pan (reserve for sauce if desired) carefully cut racks into serving sized chunks (3-4 ribs), brush with sauce and return to hot side of grill for a few minutes to brown a bit.
- You can brown them under the broiler right in the foil pans if coals are not hot enough.
- This procedure can be replicated on a two (or more) zoned gas grill.
- Put the chips in another foil 'pan' and place them over the heat, when they start to smoke put the ribs over the cool side and cover.
- Replenish chips as necessary, rotate and reverse rib pans about every 30 minutes.
- *This is a sweet rub and may be a bit too sweet for some tastes, if so decrease sugar.
The rib is very tender. Thanks for sharing.
these were awesome! don't let the directions intimdate you, it looks a little overwhelming, but really isn't. i smoked these for 7 hrs, on a low fire. excellant flavor! not too sweet for us. really tender, and truly fell off the bone. great one, can't wait to try your other rib recipes steve!
Excellent! Be sure to make 2 racks - one will not be enough.