Delicious, tender, fall off the bone ribs!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 rack baby back rib rack
- sweet barbecue sauce
- olive oil
- vegetable oil
- hickory chips
- water, to use at the grill
For the rub
- 1Combine rub* ingredients in a plastic bag, shake to mix.
- 2Rub olive oil on ribs then generously cover both sides of ribs with rub, there's enough to do 2 racks.
- 3Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hrs or as long as 24 hours.
- 4For covered charcoal grill: Start coals 30-45 minutes prior to cooking, soak a couple hand fulls of hickory chips in water.
- 5Meanwhile, place each rack of ribs, curved side down on two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil, which have been wiped with a thin coat of vegetable oil use a piece of foil large enough to seal over the top.
- 6Form a pan with the foil.
- 7After coals turn white push them all to one side, drain wood chips, place soaked wood chips on hot coals, replace grill top.
- 8Soak some more chips.
- 9Place ribs and foil on cool side of grill, carefully pour water to the foil 'pans' to no more than 1/2" up the sides of the ribs.
- 10Replace lid on grill.
- 11Every 30 minutes add a few coals and some of the soaked chips and reverse the position of the ribs (rotate and reverse).
- 12Turn over about 1/2 way through the cooking process so they finish curved side up.
- 13Depending on your grill it could take as long as 4 hrs or as little as 1 hr to cook.
- 14To finish ribs, remove from heat, drain liquid from foil pan (reserve for sauce if desired) carefully cut racks into serving sized chunks (3-4 ribs), brush with sauce and return to hot side of grill for a few minutes to brown a bit.
- 15You can brown them under the broiler right in the foil pans if coals are not hot enough.
- 16This procedure can be replicated on a two (or more) zoned gas grill.
- 17Put the chips in another foil 'pan' and place them over the heat, when they start to smoke put the ribs over the cool side and cover.
- 18Replenish chips as necessary, rotate and reverse rib pans about every 30 minutes.
- 19*This is a sweet rub and may be a bit too sweet for some tastes, if so decrease sugar.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Baby Back Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.8
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 23.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 53.8 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
baby back rib racks