Josette Jackson's Note:
I developed this recipe for artichokes after having tired of simply steaming or boiling them and serving with vinaigrette. It's taken me about 5 years to finally develop this recipe and it's become a family favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim tops of artichokes just to choke.
- 2Slice garlic into slivers and insert 1/2 of amount amongst leaves and sprinkle rest in bottom of pot.
- 3Place prepared artichokes in pot just large enough to hold.
- 4Pour 1/4 cup each olive oil and white wine over artichokes.
- 5Sprinkle chopped parsley and thyme over artichokes.
- 6Pour chicken broth and water over chokes and top each with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- 7Salt and pepper top of each choke and cover pot.
- 8Simmer chokes until tender (approximately 30-45 minutes).
- 9Serve the remaining sauce in bottom of pot as dipping sauce.
- 10Add a little more water if necessary should the liquid evaporate too much.
- 11NOTES: I remove chokes after cooking.
- 12The artichokes are much more tasty should you put them refrigerator in braising sauce for a day-- better in two days or more.
- 13Also ideal to serve hollandaise made with braising sauce.
- 14I sometimes remove the choke before placing in fridge and use the cavity for the hollandaise.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Artichokes
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.2
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 632.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 7.9 g