Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lovely lemony vegetable salad that is easy to prepare with trimmed, fresh artichoke hearts. From Food & Wine, May 2005. For making ahead of time, the artichokes can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 3⁄4 cup frozen baby peas
- 1⁄2 small onion, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- Fill a medium bowl with water and squeeze the lemon half into it.
- Working with 1 artichoke at a time, snap off the dark outer leaves until you reach the yellow leaves.
- Cut off the top two-thirds of the leaves, leaving 1 1/2 inches at the base.
- Cut off the stem and peel the artichoke bottom, then scoop out the hairy choke with a melon baller or a teaspoon.
- Add the artichoke bottom to the bowl of water.
- Repeat with the remaining 3 artichokes.
- Scatter the diced carrot in a large saucepan and arrange the artichoke bottoms on top.
- Scatter the potato and peas around the artichokes and nestle the onion in the center.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the flour, sugar and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of water and season with salt and pepper- Pour the mixture over the artichokes.
- Cover with a moistened piece of parchment paper and bring to a boil- Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook the vegetables until tender, about 1 hour.
- Check occasionally and add a few tablespoons of water as necessary if the vegetables begin to look dry.
- Transfer the artichoke bottoms to a smaller platter.
- Stir the dill and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice into the vegetables in the pan and spoon them over the artichokes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.