For those lucky, lucky people with the brain-shaped molds for gelatin. Available on mcphee.com among other places. Time does not include refrigeration.
- Before each use, wash the mold with warm soapy water and a soft cloth or sponge.
- Spray or smear the inside of the mold with a small amount of vegetable oil, then wipe out the excess.
- Put the gelatin mix in a large bowl and add the boiling water.
- Stir about two minutes until the mix is dissolved.
- Stir in the cold water.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and food coloring.
- Adjust coloring until it is the perfect pinkish-gray and stir.
- Pour the mixture in the brain mold, stopping about 1/4 inch from the top.
- Place the brain mold in a shallow bowl so it will sit level, and refrigerate overnight.
- To remove the brain, shake the mold gently until the gelatin loosens.
- Place a flat plate upside down over the open side of the mold, then flip the mold and the plate together.
- Lift the mold off, leaving the brain on the plate.