A great halloween cookie
Make and share this Brain Cookies With Blood Glaze recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup very finely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 9 drops blue food coloring
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 35 drops red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Into a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Alternating with the eggs, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating well after the each addition.
- Fold in the nuts, vanilla, and red and blue food coloring, being careful not to overmix the dough.
- Place the dough in batches in a potato grinder and push the dough out onto the prepared baking sheets in long tubes of dough.
- With your fingers, loosely pat and arrange the dough strands into clumps resembling brains, pushing to form 2 hemispheres and shaping into a walnut-like shape.
- Bake until golden brown on the bottom, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the blood glaze: in a small bowl, combine the icing sugar with the food coloring to make a thick glaze, whisking together.
- Drizzle the "blood" onto the cookies and serve either warm or at room temperature.