2 hrs 50 mins
A vegan bread suitable for Thanksgiving or Christmas! This is so good you non-vegetarian guests won't even notice it isn't their "regular" braided bread. This has the prettiest russet color for the fall/winter dinner table!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups cooked well-mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons honey (or honey substitute, e.g. maple syrup)
- 1 cup soymilk
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- soymilk, to brush tops of loaves
- 1Combine the yeast and the water in a medium mixing bowl and let stand for 10 minutes, or until dissolved.
- 2Stir in the oil and thyme, then the mashed sweet potato, honey, and soymilk.
- 3Stir gently until the mixture is smooth.
- 4In another bowl, combine the flours, cornmeal, and salt.
- 5Make a well in the center and pour in the wet mixture.
- 6Work together, using a spoon at first, then hands, until thoroughly combined into a dough.
- 7Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 8-10 minutes, adding additional flour until the dough loses its stickiness.
- 8Place in a clean bowl and cover with a tea towel.
- 9Let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- 10Punch the dough down and turn back out onto the board.
- 11Divide into six equal pieces.
- 12With hands, roll each piece into a long coil, about 1" in diameter.
- 13To make each loaf, braid three coils and pinch the ends together.
- 14Place the loaves on a floured baking sheet, cover with the tea towel, and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 15Brush the tops of the loaves with soymilk.
- 16Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the tops are golden and the loaves feel hollow when tapped.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braided Sweet Potato Bread - Vegan
Serving Size: 1 (1182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1446.5
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1891.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 255.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.5 g
- Sugars 31.7 g
- Protein 42.1 g