Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from my best friend's aunt. It is a wonderful, chewy sweet bread that I can't keep my hands off of whenever I make it! Just a great, simple sweet bread recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 1 package dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour (use more to knead)
- 1 beaten egg
- Mix together water, warm milk, and yeast.
- Add melted margarine, sugar, salt and flour.
- Knead dough, place in bowl, cover and let rise in warm place 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 6 parts.
- Shape dough into 6 long pieces (length of baking sheet).
- On baking sheet, braid 3 of the pieces together like you would hair, then braid remaining 3 pieces together.
- Cover and let raise 1 more hour.
- Brush beaten egg on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
I've never made bread before and chose to try it out. I chose this recipe and am so happy I did! My husband loves it and says it was the best bread he has ever had. Thats pretty good since he is a bread connoisseur! I am going to make this recipe a tradition in my family!
I added some red food coloring and made it into 2 heart shaped breads for valentine's day, then drizzled them with a light strawberry glaze. They turned out lovely and was a big hit with my daughter! Used my bread machine to make the dough, so it was really simple and fun to make.
Wonderful and easy recipe. I have made this three times now and each time I get better at braiding! I do a four strand braid (I think it looks prettier). Though, this tastes so good out of the oven that the taste pales when it's been out of the oven for more than a couple of hours.