1/1 Photo of Braided Egg Loaf
2 hrs 30 mins
We like to make egg loaf at Easter time. This is a soft, tasty home-made bread recipe that is sure to become one of your family's favourites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a big mixing bowl, combine the 1 1/2 cups flour, and salt.
- 2Add yeast to hot water and sugar together and when the yeast dissolves add it to the flour mixture above.
- 3Pour in the water and beat until it's smooth.
- 4Fold in the soft margarine, eggs and food colouring.
- 5Add remaining flour (a little at a time) to make a soft dough.
- 6On a floured board, knead until it's smooth and elastic.
- 7Grease a big bowl.
- 8Brush top of dough with melted margarine.
- 9In a warm spot, let it rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
- 10Punch dough down and knead it again on the floured board.
- 11Divide the dough into two equal balls.
- 12Then divide each ball into 3 smaller pieces and roll each of these pieces into"ropes".
- 13Braid the ropes to form 2 small loaves.
- 14Cover and let loaves rise until double in size.
- 15Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 16Brush the loaves with the egg yolk mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds/poppy seeds.
- 17Bake for 25-30 minutes until the loaves sound hollow when thumped.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braided Egg Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (1251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1791.2
- Calories from Fat 495
- Total Fat 55.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 270.0 mg
- Sodium 1653.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 276.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 34.3 g
- Protein 42.9 g