1/1 Photo of Braided Egg Bread
3 hrs 35 mins
Your guests will be impressed with this loaf. Chances are they will ask you the name of the bakery where you bought it!! Please do not be daunted by the long(ish) list of instructions -- they assist you through the process of making the bread. Adapted from a Pilsbury cooking book. You can use smaller strips of dough and make two loaves. You can serve this either sliced or let your guests break off pieces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Warm the milk and margarine until about 120F.
- 2Blend the liquid, 1 1/2 Cups flour, sugar, salt, yeast and eggs until moistened.
- 3Beat for 2 minutes. (This is easier if you have an electric mixer.).
- 4By hand, stir in flour until you have a stiff dough. (Don't worry if you haven't used all the flour, you will add more during the kneading process.).
- 5Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic. This will take about 5 minutes.
- 6Grease a bowl, place the dough in it and turn the greased side up.
- 7Cover and let rise until doubled. this will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Please be patient.
- 8Grease a cookie sheet.
- 9Punch down the dough and divide it into four equal parts. (Yes, four.).
- 10Shape each part into a strip about 20 inches long. You can roll the dough in your hands like you used to do with plasticine.
- 11Place the 4 strips side by side on the prepared cookie sheet. Yes, one end will extend over the ends of the sheet. Pinch the 4 strips together at one end.
- 12Now, braid the strips by weaving the far right strip over and under the next strips to the far left. Weave the next far right strip. Continue until you braid all the pieces.
- 13Then, pinch the ends together to seal.
- 14Cover and let the loaf rise until doubled in size. This will take up to an hour.
- 15You can make the loaf look really special by brushing it, before baking, with a beaten egg or egg yolk. Please take care to not let the egg drip on the cookie sheet.
- 16If you have sesame or poppy seeds you can sprinkle them liberally on the loaf.
- 17Place the loaf in an oven heated to 375°F.
- 18Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown. It will sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- 19Slide off the cookie sheet to a rack and let it cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braided Egg Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3333.6
- Calories from Fat 1061
- Total Fat 117.9 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 465.7 mg
- Sodium 6021.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 474.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.7 g
- Sugars 27.4 g
- Protein 86.3 g