Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy to do using your bread machine to make the dough. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds before baking to add more flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup water
- Place ingredients into bread machine according to manufacturers directions.
- Set on dough cycle.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured board and divide into three equal parts.
- Stretch or roll each part into 9" ropes and braid.
- Place on greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix together one egg yolk and a tablespoon of water and brush over bread, then sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, if desired.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
Marie, a very good recipe. I made it exactly as written, making it into 2 smaller loaves. It browned very nicely. Just a little hint for beginners: when braiding, start in the middle, braid to the end, then turn loaf and continue braiding to the other end. That makes a nicer, more even loaf. Thanks for posting...Janet
Fabulous recipe! I cant make enough of it. It never lasts long. I make two braided loaves and often give them away to neighbours and as hostess gifts. Everybody loves them! Thanks so much!
Let me just rate this recipe by saying ... I made this bread exactly as the recipe stated (but sprinkled a tiny bit of kosher salt and cracked black pepper on the top before baking). I took it out of the oven, pulled off one tiny delectable, mouth watering piece, left for a 2 hour meeting and came home and it was completely and totally gone. Not a single crumb was left. My husband claims the kids were the culprits, but I know that he had just as much to do with it as they did. Looks like another loaf is in the very near future!