Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is an old recipe that our family enjoys on special events
- 2 1⁄4 ounces active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees )
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl,dissolve yeast in warm water.Add the oil,sugar and four cups flour:beat until smooth.Stir in enough flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a flour surface:knead until smooth and elastic,about 6-8 minutes.Place in a grease bowl,turning once to grease top.Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled,about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down,turn once onto a lightly floured surface:divide in half.Divide each portion into thirds,Shape each piece into a 15" rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid:Pinch ends to seal and tuck under.Repeat with remaining dough.Cover and let rise until doubles:about 1 hour.
- Brush top with beaten egg and water.Cover with poppy seed if desired.Bake at 350 degree's for 30 minutes or until golden brown.Remove from pan and cool.