Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
A Slavic bread commonly served at dinner. This bread will give you a warm feeling on a cold day, and remind you of simpler times.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in lukewarm milk.
- Combine evaporated milk, water, and butter.
- Sift flour into a deep bowl.
- Add yeast mixture to flour, then add evaporated milk mixture.
- Finally add beaten egg yolks and salt.
- Knead very well.
- Cover and set in a warm, draft-free place for 2 hours.
- Divide into two balls.
- Roll one out on a floured board into a rectangle and divide into three parts, then do the same with the other ball.
- Let sit, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Braid three parts into a loaf (center goes over outer part, alternating). Do the same with the other loaf.
- Allow to rise 1 hour in a warm place.
- Brush both loaves with melted butter.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350, then for 1 hour at 375 (internal temp should read 190).