Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
The 1970's. The Steelers. The Snack. This was first published in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette -- during the years of the Immaculate Reception. Its a family favorite and kids love it. Prep time includes the time it takes to either press into a pan or drop onto waxed paper.
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 1 cup Rice Krispies (or any other cereal you like)
- In a large saucepan (I use my dutch oven) dissolve brown sugar and Karo syrup over medium heat.
- Do not boil.
- Remove brown sugar and Karo syrup from heat.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla until thoroughly mixed and peanut butter is incorporated.
- Quickly stir in cereals.
- Either press into a 9x13 pan to cut into bars, or drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper.
- You'll get 2-3 dozen"cookies" depending on the size.
Unfortunately, I wasn't all that impressed with this recipe. The flavour was okay but I ended up frosting them with chocolate butter icing to perk them up a bit. I also thought that a smaller pan should have been used - maybe 9" square. With the 9X13 pan, the squares were very, very thin.
These are a peanut butter lover's dream! They are very addicting and my entire family loved them. I'm not sure if I should thank you for posting this as I have already eaten way too many!
Thanks for such an easy treat. I followed the recipe (which is very easy) and wouldn't change a thing. It is a carmel, peanut butter crunch from the corn flakes treat. Thanks again for sharing.