Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is our favorite way to have corned beef. Like many people, I've cooked many different ways starting with boiling corned beef with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots (ok, but plain) to baking (better but still not swooning yet). Currently this is the only way we want to have our corned beef now. I am using homemade Plum Sauce but you can certainly use many types of jams or jellies such as apricot, plum, cherry, peach, and pineapple. If you are using commercial jams or jellies, it is best to thin it so it is loose spreading consistency much like sauces.
- In a large pot place corned beef and add enough water to cover and bring to boil. Turn the heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Remove corned beef and discard the water.
- In a small bowl, mix plum sauce, brown sugar, and mustard.
- Place the meat in a tight fitting roasting pan with a cover. Brush the sauce liberally, cover and bake in 275 degrees F oven for 3 to 3 1/4 hours or until tender.
- Brush additional sauce every 30 to 45 minutes.
- After 3 to 3 1/4 hours, remove the cover and increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and spread all the sauce on meat. You can alternately spread the sauce in the roasting pan if there is no sauce remaining in a bowl.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and slice thinly.
- Serve with horseradish sauce.