Recipe by kolleen1021
When I asked my boyfriend Brad what he wanted for dinner one week night, he requested pasta. However, when he saw me take bottle of tomato sauce out of the cupboard he asked that I make the sauce "something different from the normal tomato stuff." So, with a little creativity and a the wonderful shredding blade on my food processor, this recipe was born. I hope you enjoy it as much as he and I do. It makes for a beautiful dinner plate and would be awesome with some sauteed chicken added if you prefer something with added substance.
- 14 1⁄2 ounces whole wheat rotini, uncooked
- 4 cups zucchini, shredded or diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil pasta according to directions on package. We prefer Barilla Plus pasta but anything you like will work fine. When done, drain the pasta and let sit while you prepare the rest.
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or pot. I used the same pot I used to boil the pasta.
- When the oil is hot, saute the onion, minced garlic, black, and red pepper over medium to high heat until the onions are starting to soften and the air smells spicy.
- Use the shredder function on a food processor to quickly shred the zucchini or dice them into small pieces.
- Add the zucchini to the sauted onion mixture, salt to taste, and mix thoroughly.
- When the zucchini begins to release its moisture, add chicken broth and parmesan cheese and mix until the liquid begins to look creamy.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pot and mix thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in the beaten eggs. Stir slowly until the heat cooks the egg and thickens the sauce.
- Serve hot with extra parmesan cheese and black pepper on top.
- NOTE: This recipe would be very good with cooked chicken breast or shrimp. Try it!