Recipe by Tulip-Fairy
Really simple and fat free....so you can have 2 pieces!!! Yippee!
Top Review by Chef Dudo
Very easy to make and I like the fact that no fat is used. The dough is extremely stiff but still pliable. At first it seemed that 1/4 pint tea would not be enough for all the sultanas, raisins and sugar but it worked fine. I baked it in a glass loaf tin and by experience I know that things bake faster in this. Checked after one hour, almost done, let it bake another 15 minutes and that was perfect. The loaf freezes well and is very nice with a cup of tea. Thanks for posting. Made for Comfort Cafe, January 2010.
- 8 ounces sultanas
- 8 ounces raisins
- 6 ounces demerara sugar
- 1⁄4 pint hot tea
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces self-rising flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the dried fruit, sugar and hot tea.
- Cover and leave overnight.
- Add the egg beat well, then stir in the flour.
- Grease a 1-lb loaf tin; line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Place the mixture into the tin and bake for about 1 ½ hours at 160c (fan).
- Always use hot tea so the sugar dissolves and the dried fruit swells more easily.
- Prep time doesn't include soak time.