1 hr 30 mins
This Italian name means steak. It is pronounced bra-CHOH-la. I use to make this all the time for my ex-hubby. He loved it! Prep time is estimated and cook time includes simmering only, so you'll need to make allowances for the browning time. My guestimation would be 7-10 minutes....?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs round steaks
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt (again)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Trim all fat from steak; cut meat into 8 equal pieces; then pound until very thin with a wooden mallet.
- 2Remove casing from Italian sausage.
- 3Break up in a medium size bowl; add parsley, Parmesan cheese, garlic, Italian seasoning, 1 tsp.
- 4salt and the lemon pepper seasoning; mix thoroughly.
- 5Spread each steak with 2 heaping tablespoons of the sausage mixture; roll up, jelly-roll fashion; fasten with wooden picks or tie with string.
- 6Brown beef rolls, 3 or 4 at a time, in hot oil in a Dutch oven; remove rolls and place on plate or wax paper.
- 7Add onion and carrot to pot; cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in wine, tomatoes, paste and remaining 1 tsp.
- 9salt and bay leaf; bring mixture to boiling; lower heat.
- 10Add beef rolls; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 11Remove from heat.
- 12Remove the picks or string from braciole before serving.
Nutritional Facts for Braciole
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.9
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 1226.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 40.7 g