Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Borrowing from the classic dessert crème brûlée, this dish has a hard candy topping, a crisp contrast to the creamy sweet potatoes. Cooking time does not include cooking sweet potatoes.
- 6 cups hot mashed sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Spoon potato mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar evenly over top. Broil 2 minutes or until sugar melts. Let stand until melted sugar hardens (about 5 minutes).
Loved it...maybe a proposal should be in order.
"This is what the standard should be for sweet potatoes" is what my DH said. This is a fantastic recipe! The crunchy topping is a nice twist to plain mashed sweet potatoes. Thanks for posting such creativity!
I made this dish for Mothers Day and it came out great! The only thing I must give as a suggestion is make sure the sweet potatoes are mashed really well! I had a few lumps.