Recipe by Sharon123
I was a girl scout and we never had these delicious apples. So thanks to The Deen brothers for giving up the recipe! From their cookbook, Get Fired Up! You can substitute your favorite jam for the raspberry, just make sure it goes with apples. If using salted butter(or margarine) you can eliminate the salt in the ingredients.
Top Review by Starrynews
This brought back some great memories... a similar flavor profile to apples we enjoyed over the campfire in Girl Scouts. The grill preparation made this very easy. I used the sugar/cinnamon combo this time, but love the idea of jam, which I will be sure to try! Thanks for sharing! Veggie Swap 46
- 4 baking apples (such as Golden Delicious)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or raspberry jam)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Core the apples and peel off a strip around the equator(middle) of each apple to prevent bursting.
- Mash together the butter, sugar or jam, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl.
- Fill each apple cavity with some of the mixture and wrap each apple individually in aluminum foil.
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat.
- Place the apple packets on the grill. Close the cover and cook until the fruit is just tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from grill, unwrap carefully, and enjoy!