Prep 12 mins
Cook 55 mins
Very yummy recipe my mom gave me. Been using it for 20 years. I got a blue ribbon at the fair when I was in 4-H. Bread with nuts is boy banana bread and without nuts is girl banana bread, my kids don't get that yet but prefer the girl banana bread. Store all your old bananas in the peel in the freezer and when you need some for bread pull them out, thaw, cut the end off and they slide out and work great in breads and muffins.
- 8 tablespoons butter or 8 tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed (I pull them from the freezer, thaw and use)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup shelled walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven 350°F Grease a bread pan (9x5x3").
- Cream butter & sugar till light & fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift all purpose flour, baking soda & salt together, stir in whole wheat flour & add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Fold in bananas, vanilla and if you want boy bread add the walnuts.
- Pour mixture into pan, bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Makes one loaf.
- The bread freezes well.
Excellent! Hilarious name that my DH & DS loved! We made girl bread. I used Bob's Red Mill WW flour, Mexican vanilla & just under 1-1/2 cups mashed bananas. (I store mine in the freezer as well, but only had two in the peel & one baggie of banana chunks for DD's smoothies, so I used all that I had & measured it for future reference. :)) Made just as directed & the entire loaf was gone within 30 minutes of slicing. No one could tell there was whole wheat in the recipe. It was moist and delicious. Probably the best banana bread recipe we've ever tried. I can see how you won the blue ribbon, Dawni! Thanks for sharing it with us, we'll be making it again & again. Made & enjoyed for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :) http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0