Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An old poem about this fried bread says: Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, if you can't make boxty, you'll never get a man. Serve with a tart apple sauce: or as part of an Ulster Fry, with fried bacon, fried sausage, fried eggs, fried black pudding, fried bread, fried soda bread. Best fried in baking drippings.
- Grate raw potatoes and mix with the cooked mashed potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and flour.
- Beat egg and add to mixture with just enough milk to make a batter that will drop from a spoon.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle or frying pan.
- Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.