Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Traditional Irish potato sidedish
Make and share this Boxty recipe from Food.com.
- Grate the raw potatoes into a bowl.
- Turn out onto a cloth and wring, catching the liquid.
- This will separate into a clear fluid with starch at the bottom.
- Pour off the fluid and scrape out the starch and mix with the grated and mashed potatoes.
- Sieve the dry ingredients and mix in along with the melted butter.
- Add a little milk if necessary to make a pliable dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface.
- Divide into four and form large, flat cakes.
- Mark each into quarters but do not cut right through, and bake on a griddle or in a heavy pan.
- If liked, more milk and an egg can be added to make a batter which can be fried in bacon fat like drop scones.