1/4 Photos of Boxing Day Festive Roast Pumpkin and Cheese Lasagne - Lasagna
French Tart's Note:
Roasted pumpkin and creamy cheese lasagne (lasagna); a Boxing Day special - although I have made this for Christmas Eve too! This is a wonderful addition to the festive vegetarian table, but is ALSO hugely popular with meat eaters. This is my adapted version of Nigella Lawson's pumpkin lasagne; I have changed a few of the methods and added (as well as omitted) a few ingredients! Boxing day is the day after Christmas day, also called St Stephen’s Day – the 26th December; it is a public holiday in the UK and most Commonwealth countries……….generally a turkey curry day, or a turkey-free day, one of the two! Serve this with a large bowl of salad and some crusty bread for mopping up the delicious sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 8 sage leaves
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 1/4 kg pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into 3cm rough cubes
- 5 ml vermouth or 5 ml white wine
- 60 ml water
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- good grinding pepper
- 225 g soft fresh goat's cheese
- 225 g cream cheese with garlic and herbs
- 250 g grated cheddar cheese
- 500 g ricotta cheese
- 3 large organic eggs
- good grating fresh nutmeg
- 1Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/400F/gas 6, slipping in a baking sheet as you do.
- 2To make the pumpkin filling: heat the oil and butter in a shallow casserole dish or roasting tin and fry the sage leaves over a gentle heat for about 2 minutes. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pan and fry very gently for another 10 minutes or so. Add the pumpkin pieces, turn well in the oniony oil and then add the vermouth (or wine), the water and chopped tomatoes. Roast in a pre-heated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning – I tend to add quite a bit of salt here – and leave to cool.
- 3For the tomato sauce: simply pour the chopped tomatoes and water into a large jug or bowl, and stir in the sugar, salt and pepper, whisking it all together.
- 4To make up the cheese layer: in a separate bowl beat the goat’s cheese, cream cheese, Cheddar and ricotta with the eggs, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5To assemble the lasagne, begin by putting 500ml of the cold tomato sauce in the bottom of a roasting tin (measuring approx 36cm x 26cm x 6cm). Then layer with a third of the lasagne sheets, overlapping them well. Leave the rest of the tomato sauce aside for the time being.
- 6Layer a third of the pumpkin filling over the lasagne, and dollop on a third of the cheese mixture, coaxing with a rubber spatula. It won’t cover completely; think more of spreading blobs about. Then start again with a layer of lasagne, followed by pumpkin, then the cheese. Repeat once more – lasagne, pumpkin, and the last of the cheese mixture. Pour the remaining cold tomato sauce over, letting it sink down and be absorbed in the layers. Slice and chop the mozzarella balls and dot over the top.
- 7Cook in the oven, on the baking sheet, for 1 hour. Once cooked, take out of the oven and let it stand for 15-30 minutes to make cutting and serving easier. (I love this when it’s been standing for an hour or so, too.) As you cut and slice, you will notice a shallow tomatoey cheesy pool at the bottom of the tin; bread dunked into this is gorgeous.
- 8Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over the lasagne, and cut into squares to serve.
- 9MAKE AHEAD TIP Up to 2 days ahead, make the pumpkin filling, leave to cool and keep, covered, in the fridge. Make the cheese layer and keep, covered, in the fridge. When ready to use, assemble the lasagne and cook as directed.
- 10FREEZE AHEAD TIP Cook, cool and freeze the cooked pumpkin for up to 1 week. Thaw overnight in the fridge. When ready to use, assemble the lasagne and cook as directed.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boxing Day Festive Roast Pumpkin and Cheese Lasagne - Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 743.5
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 131.8 mg
- Sodium 1047.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 31.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cream cheese with garlic and herbs