14 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This is the original, from-scratch recipe from Kit Carson's granddaughter, as given to Sam Arnold, original owner of the Fort Restaurant in Denver, Colorado. Adapted from Time-Life Foods of the World. Although there are many versions using cooked chicken and prepared broth, the original uses raw turkey legs and cooks them in seasoned water to make a savory soup. The avocado slices are Arnold's addition, so I have made them optional. If using frozen turkey, defrost thoroughly before cooking. Prep time includes time to soak the chickpeas (garbanzos). Carson City, the capital of Nevada, is named in Kit Carson's honor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces dried garbanzo beans, soaked at least 12 hours
- 2 quarts water
- 2 (1 1/2-2 lb) raw turkey legs
- 2 medium onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons raw long-grain rice (do not use converted rice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons canned green chilies, drained, seeded and finely chopped
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut in 1/4-inch cubes (muenster may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, cut in thin slices (optional)
- 1Drain garbanzos well. Do not save water.
- 2Place garbanzos in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- 3Add the 2 quarts water.
- 4Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 5Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer until garbanzos are tender, about 1 hour.
- 6Remove garbanzos with a slotted spoon and set aside, reserving water.
- 7Add turkey legs to the cooking water. If there is not enough liquid to cover, add a little water.
- 8Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, skimming any foam that forms on top.
- 9Add onion, bay leaf, salt and peppercorns.
- 10Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer until turkey is cooked and tender, about 45 minutes.
- 11Remove turkey legs and set aside.
- 12Strain and reserve liquid. Discard solids.
- 13Remove meat from turkey legs, cut into 1" cubes, and set aside. Discard skin and bones.
- 14Bring liquid to a boil over high heat.
- 15Stir in rice and oregano, and reduce heat to low.
- 16Cover tightly and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 17Stir in garbanzos, turkey and chilies.
- 18Simmer just until all ingredients are heated through, 4-5 minutes.
- 19Ladle into a serving bowl and top with cheese and parsley.
- 20If using avocados, arrange on top.
- 21Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bowl of the Wife of Kit Carson (Turkey Leg Soup With Chickpeas)
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.5
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 196.8 mg
- Sodium 1567.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 62.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns