Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from the newspaper in Richmond after moving here 13 years ago. It has become our traditional Christmas day dessert. It is quite rich and feeds a crowd. Most of the work is done the day ahead so the cook is free to tend to other items. You can use sugar free pudding and fat free topping, but the liqueur and candy bars are a must.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup coffee liqueur
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 (12 ounce) container whipped topping
- 6 -8 Skor English toffee bits or 6 -8 Heath candy bars, crushed
- prepare cake according to directions in a 9x13" pan.
- Cool and crumble in bite size pieces in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle liqueur over cake, cover bowl and allow to stand overnight.
- Prepare pudding and gently fold in whipped topping.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, place half the cake in a large trifle dish or glass bowl.
- Cover with half the pudding and sprinkle with half the candy crumbs.
- Repeat layers, ending with candy.
- Chill before serving.
Excellent dessert! Makes a nice presentation on the dessert table.