Recipe by Miss Erin C.
Posted in response to a request. From "the Low-Carb Cookbook" by Fran McCullough.
Top Review by Boxerwing
This was a fabulous recipe. I used two pounds of ground beef and two pounds of stewing beef. I also added a chopped pepper and some chopped celery to increase the veggie content without increasing the carbs too much. I didn't miss the tomatoes or beans found in regular chili! A really terrific low carb recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, diced (or ground for chili)
- 1⁄2 cup mild red chile
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup strong brewed coffee (or 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules)
- 3 cups water (as needed)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil and cook the onion over medium heat until it is soft.
- Add the garlic and cook until it's transparent.
- Add the meat in several batches along with the chili, cumin, oregano and paprika.
- Remove each batch to a large bowl as it's cooked.
- Stir and cook until the meat is browned, then put all the meat back in the pot and add the vinegar, coffee and enough water just to cover the meat.
- Add the salt and cayenne and stir well.
- cover the pot and cook over low heat for 2 hours, stirring from time to time.
- Remove the lid and simmer the final hour.
- Skim off any fat on the surface.
- Add the cornmeal and stir in well.
- Cook for 15 more minutes and serve hot in deep bowls.
- Garnish with sour cream, chopped cilantro and shredded cheese.