Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
In response to a request. From Detroit Free Press Cookbook (1984)
Make and share this Bow Wow Biscuits for Dogs recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons meat drippings or 8 tablespoons bacon drippings or 8 tablespoons margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons beef broth or 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- cheese, grated (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup ice water (more if necessary)
- In large bowl or food processor container, combine flour, wheat germ, dry milk, salt, garlic powder and brown sugar.
- Cut in, or process, meat, bacon drippings or margarine into mixture, until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg and broth--through feeder tube with machine running, if a processor is used--and mix thoroughly.
- Add crumbled bacon or grated cheese if desired.
- Add ice water as needed to form mixture into a ball.
- If processor is used, add water through feeder tube with machine running, just as mixture leaves the side of the bowl and starts forming a ball on metal blades.
- Pat or roll out dough on floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut into bone biscuit shapes (cutters are available in many kitchen stores) or any cookie shape.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with foil and oiled lightly.
- Bake at 350F 30 minutes, or until quite hard and brown at the edges.