This recipe is from Vegetarian Times April 2010 edition. I love pesto and when I you can use broccoli I just had to try it. The recipe calls for hazlenuts, which I didn't have so I used toasted almonds. I think next time I make this I will use it on white pizza. Ummm it's so good!
- 6 tablespoons blanched hazelnuts
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1⁄2 cups loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbs. olive oil, plus more for drizziling
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaf
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons capers, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 5 large garlic cloves
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- Toast hazelnuts in skillet 3 to 5 minutes, shaking skillet often.
- Cool, coarsley chop, and set aside.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Drain again.
- Pulse hazelnuts, broccoli, parsley, oil, mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, capers, and garlicin food processor until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook farfalle according to package directions in water used to cook broccoli.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water before draining. Toss farfalle with pesto and pasta cooking water.
- Garnish with hazelnuts, and drizzle with olive oil.